i’m not an expert or a scholar on the middle east.
i’m not even what i would call well schooled on the concepts of occupation or displacement. though i have read many books on these topics, and find myself haunted.
i am not knowledgeable about the intricacies of geo politics, though i do know that we are generally hoodwinked and bamboozled in this country when it comes to terms like “terrorism” and our role in creating the thing we fight.
and i’ve read quite a bit about violence in all its forms. i’ve written about it. i’ve experienced it. i’ve stood next to it and had to decide whether or not to move.
all i really have is this: i’m a mother. i’m a wife. i’m a writer.
i don’t believe in god, but i do believe in art and love.
so i’d like to send a prayer of art and love out to the people in gaza.
and since all i’m good at is being a mother, a wife, and a writer, all i can offer is a list of authors that make the heart beat faster. writer who make us slightly less ignorant.
deborah al najjar
a good book with a collection of short stories by palestinian women: “Quissat”
love is a muscle.
1 Comment »
Leave a Reply
- Why we publish the books that we do, or, IN YOUR FACE, market, and why YOU should commit a revolutionary act and buy a book that doesn’t kneel.
- letter against fear
- hey tea party morons: suck on a pair.
- 10 good reasons to reread marx
- about mothers
- 3 post obama stories that fucking crack me up (tho one sceeers me)
- welcome to the white house mr. president
- uh huh you got that right
- shut the fuck up, gosh darn it
- what’s YOUR husband or parnter done lately?
- blue eyes
- free inquiry vs. indoctrination